Rental Housing License
If you own a residential property in Little Canada and want to operate it as a rental property, a rental housing license is required by the City. The rental licensing program is designed to ensure that housing units meet appropriate code requirements, to provide the City with better information as to the location of the City’s rental housing stock, and to require adequate tenant screening/management procedures to minimize problem tenant issues.
The following types of rented properties need to be licensed: condominiums (individually owned), duplexes, fourplexes, single-family homes, townhomes, triplexes, twin-homes, and apartment buildings.
Obtain a License
- Submit the completed Rental Housing License Application along with the appropriate fee. New rental licenses can be submitted at any time during the license period, fees are not prorated.
- This is an annual license that will be valid through September 30, 2021.
- Fees are as follows:
- $ 60 Single Family Home / Townhome / Twin-home (entire home or shared living space)
- $ 60 Condominium
- $ 60 per building + $10 per rental unit Duplex / Triplex
- $ 105 per building + $10 per rental unit Fourplex / Apartment Complex
The City Council has instituted penalties under our rental licensing program for those property owners who fail to obtain a license. Unlicensed properties found to have rental units will subject the property owner to double fees, misdemeanor citations, and possible injunctive action to prevent the continued illegal rental.
If you own or manage a rental property, please contact the Little Canada City Center at 651-766-4029 to start your application process or have your questions answered. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.